29 May 2015

Old Spanish Themes

During our last summer studio in Spain, I asked the students to each select a theme and collect 30 photographs on that theme over the course of the trip. The themes were common elements of the urban landscape: Steps, tiles, masonry, water, columns, trees, lamps, doors, windows, sculpture, etc.

I tried to follow along with my own and discovered that it quickly reduced many to a generic contribution. Even relatively nice tilework could seem less impressive when lost among30 other examples. On the other hand, one outstanding window seemed all the more dramatic when contrasted with the others. And patterns that emerged were fun to look at. 

Unlike the students, I jumped from theme to theme, but here are a few of my old thematic photos...






















No comments: