17 August 2007

Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest

As many readers know, I watch the NGO community pretty closely. So I am not sure that I fully agree with Paul Hawken's thesis in his new book, Blessed Unrest. He suggests that there is a burgeoning movement made up of many grassroots movements that was so subtle in its slow and gentle formation, that even the organizations and people involved didn't see it happening. TO be clear, I agree that the NGO community is becoming an increasingly important player in a variety of issues that are slowly relating more and more to Environmental Justice, but I am not convinced that it is such a surprise how this grassroots effort is emerging.

To be sure, I need to read the book to understand what he is really arguing. But the reviews are intriguing enough to motivate me:

No comments: