28 August 2007

Katrina anniversary

I expect we'll see lots of Katrina stories this week, since it is the 2nd anniversary and the area is still barely beginning its recovery. As some of these stories are reporting, 65,000 families are still living in FEMA trailers.

The NYTimes had a piece of op-art looking at New Orleans before and after Katrina.

The Nation has committed much of an issue to the topic (h/t to Michelle at FCI).

NPR's All Things Considered visited NOLA families living in Houston to see how they are faring. Some are not doing well there, but others find Houston to be better than home:
Her subdivision is so new "it's not even on MapQuest," Gabriel exclaims. "God is good. I love it. I mean, I feel as though I fit right in; I don't feel like a sore thumb. Every day I wake up, I feel like a million bucks," she says.
Celebrities, like Brad Pitt, might be helping or hurting. I can't tell.

But I am finding the information about the Mississippi coast to be limited mostly to local papers. Even though the eye of the storm when up by Pass Christian and Bay St Louis.
(The photo is one I took in Waveland, MS 15 months after the storm.)

No comments: